Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Starting over...

I tried really hard to title this post something different. 

I have been debating it all day. I wanted my fingers to type something like: "A fresh start" or "Unwavering" or even "Explosive trust and quiet resolve". That's a good one.

But they typed the truth- straight up. 

We are starting over. 

Ghana officially suspended their international adoption program on May 13. Smart people doubt that the suspension will be lifted...ever, i guess. I wish I could eloquently list all their reasons but to be honest I just dont know what they are. Some imply that it is to push internal reform and promote domestic adoption. Maybe. But then I ask, what about all the children who are sitting in orphanages today, waiting, while 'they' debate reform? Arent they concerned about what happens in the in between time?

I am upset. Angry actually. Once again, children are the pawns in a political game. 

I am sad. Is mourning too strong of a word? I feel like I have lost something, something that I was quite attached to: an idea, a picture in a my head, the child ive bought clothes for. A friend said that what I am feeling may be similar to what someone dealing with  a miscarriage may experience. Humans just attach to other humans, sometimes rather quickly, sometimes before they even meet each other. It's a fact.

So, where do we go from here? After talking through all of our options and really trying to figure out what God is doing here (and wishing we actually knew) we have decided to be added to the waiting list for Ethiopia. We will leave our dossier (that really big stack of paperwork) in Ghana in case things change and we will begin compiling a new dossier for Ethiopia.

We really never thought we would go there, for lots of reasons. We have felt so drawn to the west side of Africa. We know nothing about Ethiopia.

The facts are still the same though. It is a poor, war-torn, disease-ravaged country. There are many, many orphans. Because programs in Ethiopia have been "popular" there is a long waiting list (we are somewhere in the 50's I believe) but we are told there are few who are willing to consider an "older child" (over the age of 3) or a child with special needs (like HIV) or even sibling sets. So, that is exactly what we are open to. Maybe things will move quickly! Maybe they wont. 

Here's to the first step!!


~
 "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you"- John 14:18
~
"Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you"
 - James 1:27

5 comments:

  1. in some part of the world there is a child who fits perfectly into your heart. God will bring him home! love you both

    ReplyDelete
  2. Broken for you Friend. Praying that God's direction will be so clear and that you will have peace each step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry...for your loss...and, yes, you have the right to grieve for the loss of the one YOU were planning for. But, perhaps, it isn't the child God had in mind. Praying that God blesses you with grant you the desires of your heart sooner rather than later and in ways BIGGER than you could think, ask, or imagine. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for this...and yes it is a loss and how healthy that you grieve/mourn it! I am excited about your decision for Ethiopia because it is a country very dear to our hearts. I am continuing to pray for you as you continue on this adoption journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanna and GabrielMay 16, 2013 at 10:29 AM

    Praying for peace for you both in the midst of this very confusing and difficult journey. God be with you guys.

    ReplyDelete