Saturday, February 22, 2014

A Juxtaposition

Juxtaposition: The act of placing side by side for comparison or contrast 
(hold onto this, we'll come back to it)

One of my best friends encouraged me to read the book 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' by Stephen Chbosky long before it was popular, years before it became a movie. If you aren't familiar, I would definitely recommend it. It's both beautiful and tragically honest in presenting the challenge of working thru sexual abuse while struggling to find your place in high school...and life in general, really. There are several great quotes but this one has always stood out to me. 

“So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.” 

These words resonate with me on so many levels. Especially through the last few months, which in many ways have been the most challenging I've ever been though. 

I've been thinking, while minute after minute rolls by, how it can be possible to feel both irrefutable peace about the future and a panic-inducing confusion in the present? How can you love your life so completely yet sometimes feel so disconnected? How can you experience both child-like excitement and matured anger simultaneously?

Anger and excitement??? My juxtaposition. 

I wasn't really sure what kind of response I would get from my last post. The outpouring of encouragement and support really allowed me to dig deeper into what else I was feeling and experiencing and processing through and I realized there was something else there. 

It took me a minute to grab it, explore it, name it.

It's excitement.

It's there, bubbling up...a cheer forming...a praise about to burst out! God is doing something big here people! And we get to be a part of it! We (and you all) get to see it come together! Some of you are reading this as a direct result of  things 'coming together',  because you didn't know I existed before! 

Tomorrow (Sunday, February 23) we are having our first community prayer gathering for our adoption and you are invited. We will be meeting at Madison Square Church in the Gathering Room at 7:15 pm. 

Matthew 18 says "When two of you get together on anything at all on earth and make a prayer of it, my Father in heaven goes into action. And when two or three of you are together because of me, you can be sure that I’ll be there.” 

There will be 5 prayer stations that you can walk through silently or join with others aloud.The themes of these stations intentionally lack detail so that you can pray as you feel led.
  • Kwe: his heart, soul, strength and courage
  • The court system and our 7th scheduled hearing on February 25
  • Our POA and Attorney: that they would experience no barriers, that they represent us well and advocate ferociously
  • Against the strongholds in Ghana: that Satan would have no more power, that those who appose adoption would be bound and their corruption would be brought to light
  • Our trip in May: that doors would open and we would make progress on our case

 If you cant make it in person, please feel welcome to join us in spirit and use the above themes as a guide. 

Now, you know this wasn't my idea. I couldn't come up with something this beautiful. And even if the idea formed, I would probably be too intimidated to speak it. But that is the beautiful thing about community!!! Its all different people coming together to be just what is needed just when its needed. We are blessed by a supportive and diverse community that is literally holding us up right now. 

Here's the thing: even if we dont pass court next week, Ill still be excited! Ill still be praising God. Because He is at work. He is writing this story. And even if the wait and the barriers and the red tape never 'make sense', and if my patience isn't rewarded in the way I think it should be ...its ok. 

So for me, it can be possible to feel a deep rage against injustice and an overflowing excitement for how God is moving AT THE SAME TIME.  

What is your juxtaposition?

4 comments:

  1. To the both of you, my beautiful, intelligent daughter and the wonderful man i could never have prayed for her. Only God could bring the 2 of you together. I can not be with you at this time but my prayers and thoughts are with you, not just today but every day. We never know what God's plans are for us. We are impatient and self-centered most of the time. What ever the future holds for you please trust and rely on him. Everything is in his time not ours. I love you both very much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stopping by to see if there was any news on the court hearing this week -been praying that it WOULD happen this time and go smoothly. Praying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! Ill be posting an update today or tomorrow but I am thrilled to share with you that we DID PASS COURT!!! Can you believe it!?!?! God is so faithful!

      Delete
    2. WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Going to read the update now! :-)

      Delete